Update: Sorry, deal is dead. Portals have reverted to old rates
A number of portals are currently offering great rates for the purchase of American Express gift cards. Here are the current best rates:
- Barclaycard RewardsBoost 4X (Requires Arrival card)
- Alaska MileagePlanShopping 3X
- Delta SkyMiles Shopping 3X
- BeFrugal 3% Cash Back
Hat tip: Vinh
Please read: Everything you ever wanted to know about Amex gift cards. And, if you still have questions, please ask via the comments of that post so that we can keep information about Amex gift cards in one place.
- Amex gift cards do not have PINs. They cannot be used to load Bluebird cards.
- Some credit card companies charge cash advance fees when purchasing these online. Please read Everything you ever wanted to know about Amex gift cards for details.
- Portals often state that using codes not found on their site will invalidate cash back / miles earned. This has not been my experience. I use codes for free gift cards every time. Try SYNCGIFT, for example.
- Some portals restrict the top card amount to $500. You can easily circumvent this by logging into your Amex account (after clicking through from the portal) and then you’ll see values up to $3000. Yes, you should still get cash back or miles (that has been my experience).
- Cash back can take several months to go from pending to payable.
- Miles often take several weeks or even a month or more to post, but then appear immediately in your mileage account.
- Don’t be surprised if your order is declined. This happens frequently, usually without any useful explanation. My orders seem to get approved only about half the time. I have no idea why.
- Everything you ever wanted to know about Amex gift cards
- How to Spend Down Amex Gift Cards
- Links to sign up for cash back portals (and other things), can be found here.
Never miss a Quick Deal. Subscribe here.
Last updated on September 29th, 2014