Bank of America has brought back the popular “90,000 mile bonus” offer on their Virgin Atlantic Mastercard. While they market the bonus as being 90K, it’s really a 75K signup bonus with the chance to earn 15K every year on your anniversary based on annual spend.
- Earn 20,000 Flying Club bonus miles after your first retail purchase
- Earn 50,000 additional Flying Club bonus miles after you spend at least $12,000 in qualifying purchases within 6 months of your account open date
- Earn up to 15,000 additional bonus miles upon anniversary: 7500 bonus miles with $15K annual spend; an additional 7500 miles if annual spend is $25K or more, awarded after your anniversary
- Earn up to 5,000 Flying Club bonus miles when you add 2 authorized users to your card
- Earn 3X on Virgin Atlantic purchases
- Earn 1.5X everywhere else
- Earn 25 tier points toward elite status with every $2500 spent (max of 50 tier points per month)
- $90 annual fee is not waived
Virgin markets this as a 90K signup bonus, but it’s really a 75K signup bonus paired with the 15K annual big spend bonus that exists every year. Remembering that this card earns 1.5X everywhere, you would end up with 127,500 Virgin Atlantic miles after your first anniversary if you spent the full $25K and none of that spend was on Virgin Atlantic purchases. While that’s not amazing return on that kind of spend, it does get you a bit closer to Necker Island if that’s your end-goal. Just remember that Sir Richard might not like it when you earn miles without flying.
Additionally, these miles are an excellent value for premium-cabin travel on ANA. At least, it’s an excellent value until they change their unpublished award charts — so there is some risk involved with collecting Virgin Atlantic miles. Still, this offer can be great for some folks. While the post is from a few years ago and the award information has changed a bit, see An analysis of the Virgin Atlantic 90K offer for a still-relevant and detailed analysis of the 90K offer if you’re interested in applying. As always you can find the link to this offer and others on our Best Offers.page.
Last updated on September 4th, 2017