A new (possibly targeted) Amex Offer came out today which is valid at Target and Walmart and offers up to 10% back in statement credits on up to $100 of spend both in-store and online.
- Spend $50+ at Target or Walmart in-store or online & get $5 back with an Amex Offer.
- Expires October 15, 2020.
- Offer valid only on eligible purchases made directly with Target and Walmart at their US locations, US websites and US mobile apps.
- Exclusions apply, including third-party brands sold in-store or online for all merchants.
- For Walmart, the additional exclusions are for online and in-store purchases layaway, contact lens, photo services, recurring subscription services (for example, Beauty Box and Baby Box), insurance services, in-store pharmacy transactions, auto services, protection plans, Walmart MoneyCenter, and Walmart Care Clinic.
- Offer valid only on eligible purchases made and shipped within the US.
- Some merchants may not ship to all areas.
- See each merchant website for shipping policy.
- Offer is non-transferable.
- Limit of 2 statement credits (total of $10 back) per Card Member.
The opportunity to get a discount at Walmart or Target doesn’t come around very often (other than the 5% discount you get from paying with a RedCard at Target), so getting 10% back as a statement credit on $50 of spend at these stores is a good offer.
The $5 statement credit card be earned twice before October 15, so it won’t be hard for most people to max out this offer over the course of the next three months. I’m assuming you’d have to spend $50+ in two separate transactions in order to earn the two $5 statement credits rather than being able to spend $100+ in one transaction to get a $10 statement credit, but I’m not certain about that.
If you wouldn’t otherwise have two $50+ transactions at Walmart or Target, it might be worth buying gift cards at these stores. Buying gift cards for Walmart or Target will work, as will the plethora of third party gift cards and Visa/Mastercard gift cards they sell.