This deal expires August 31st. Or does it?…
This month, Chase is offering 10 bonus points per dollar at Sears.com for Sapphire and Ink cardholders. The trick is to log into the Ultimate Rewards Mall, find Sears, and click through prior to your purchase. Note that there are some situations where the click-through doesn’t properly track your purchase so be sure to read “How to ensure your portal points” before making many purchases.
As I reported previously in the post “Sears 10X: Leveraging the Deal” here is some advice for saving money at Sears.com:
- For free shipping, you can usually select “pickup in store”.
- Look for coupon codes before you shop. Some are presented directly within the Ultimate Rewards Mall.
- If a competitor (with a physical retail presence) has a lower price, fill out the online Price Match form. Sears will match the lower price and take an additional 10% off.
- Make sure to signup for Sears’ Shop Your Way Rewards program. You will earn points worth the equivalent of 1% of your order.
Many times in the past I’ve had great luck with the Sears double dip. It works like this: go through the Ultimate Rewards Mall to Sears to buy gift cards (e-cards or physical cards both work) and then go through the mall a second time to buy merchandise with the gift cards. With luck, you’ll earn 10X points for both trips through the mall for a combined 20X bonus points! The only problem is that results so far this month have been mixed. Many readers have reported success with the double dip, but many others are still waiting to see their points. At the very least, for some reason, points are taking much longer than usual to show up. Double dipping is risky because it can be hard or impossible to get Chase to credit you for purchases made with gift cards. Also note that you won’t get the kinds of extended warranties or purchase protections that credit cards often offer.
How do you know if your points have posted? Follow these steps:
- Log into Ultimate Rewards and select Rewards Activity… Ultimate Rewards Mall & Travel Earnings
- Make sure you are logged into the same account you logged into when shopping. Select Switch Accounts if necessary.
- Select the month in which you made your purchase
- Transactions and points earned should be listed. These points do not show up in your account as usable until after your monthly statement closes.
The end of 10X?
Currently the Ultimate Rewards Mall shows the Sears 10X offer expiring August 31. Usually that truly means that the bonus points will drop overnight. Last year, though, Sears ran this 10X promotion in August, September, and October. The bonus points didn’t drop until November 1. Will this happen again? I’m guessing yes, but there’s certainly no guarantee. If you want to be 100% sure to get in on the 10X deal you do need to shop by tomorrow (August 31).