Through September 30th 2015, the Plastiq bill payment service is offering a discounted rate for paying new bills with your MasterCard credit card or gift card. Plastiq’s usual fee is 2.5%, but during this promotional period you will be charged only 1.5%.
- This promo is available to everyone. No special signup link is required.
- The 1.5% rate is only for new payees added to your account. If you’ve paid a particular payee before, you will not qualify for the 1.5% rate.
- The 1.5% rate is only for payments made with MasterCard credit cards or gift cards. Visa or Amex payments will not qualify for the 1.5% rate.
If you have any qualifying bills to pay and you’re working on meeting minimum spend requirements on a MasterCard credit card, this is an easy and fairly inexpensive solution. See the “Cautions” section below.
If you have flexibility in the amount you pay (perhaps you want to pay down the principal on your mortgage, for example), then you can pick the target amount you want to spend on your credit card and divide by 1.015 to determine your bill payment amount. For example, suppose you need to spend $2,000 in order to meet a minimum spend requirement. In that case, divide $2,000 by 1.015 to get $1970.44. Plug in that amount as your bill payment amount within Plastiq and the total, after the 1.5% fee, should come to $2,000 exactly.
A number of readers have told me about issues they’ve had with payments taking a long time to verify and to ultimately show up as received by their payee. If you use this service, make sure to make payments much earlier than required in order to avoid late payment fees or other issues.
Full details about Plastiq can be found here: Complete guide to Plastiq credit card payments. There, you will find answers to questions such as:
- Is Plastiq reliable?
- What types of payments are allowed?
- Can I pay with gift cards?
- Do Plastiq payments count as purchases or cash advances? (answer: purchases)