Last updated 6/19/2017
UPDATE: Reservations booked July 23rd 2017 or later will be handled differently. Instead of rebating the entire 4th night room rate with taxes, Citi will rebate the average room rate across your stay and will no longer included taxes in the rebate. More details can be found here.
Prestige 4th Night Free
The Citi Prestige card has many excellent benefits. One benefit is that when you book a four night stay through the Citi Prestige Concierge, you will get the 4th night reimbursed.
Citi advertises the benefit as follows:
Extend your trip with a complimentary night at any hotel of your choice after a minimum 4-consecutive-night booking. There’s no limit to the number of times you can use this benefit, so go ahead and stay a little bit longer.2
And here are the footer details:
International Complimentary Night Hotels and Resorts Program TERMS AND CONDITIONS
You will enjoy a complimentary fourth night with no black-out dates, when you book four consecutive nights at any hotel booked by a personal travel advisor designated by MasterCard Airport Concierge™(the “designated travel advisor” is Carlson Wagonlit Travel). Bookings made through other methods such as travel agents, websites or directly with a hotel will not qualify. Please view the full Terms and Conditions of the program at the Citi Prestige Card Terms and Conditions.
If you have the Citi Prestige card and you’re planning a four night (or longer) hotel stay, it may be possible to save a lot of money by using this benefit. That said, some discounts may not be available through Citibank’s travel provider. Unless your stay will be reimbursed by your work or another 3rd party, I recommend searching other sites first to find the best available price. Check the hotel’s website directly and make sure to check AAA rates, senior rates, etc. – whatever applies to you. Also check aggregator sites like Kayak and Hipmunk. Once you have a good idea of what it will cost to book the hotel on your own, then call Citibank to check their price. Only go with the Citibank option if you’ll save a significant amount.
Booking the 4th Night Free – Step by Step
- Call the Citi Concierge at 1-561-922-0158. Concierge services are now handled by Aspire Lifestyles. Tell them that you would like to use your Prestige card’s 4th Night Free benefit.
- Ask them to check AAA, AARP, and/or government rates (whatever you qualify for). They may not offer to check these for you automatically. Sometimes these rates will be much lower than the best available rate otherwise.
- Add your hotel loyalty number to the reservation. If you’re booking a stay with a hotel that’s part of a loyalty program, the travel agent can add your number to the reservation. You should earn both points and stay credits for the stay. If you forget to add your number at the time of booking, you can use your confirmation code and contact the hotel chain directly to add your number to the reservation.
Booking the 4th Night Free – By email
Another great option is to book via email. As reported by One Mile at a Time, you can book via email as follows:
Email “firstname.lastname@example.org” with the following information:
- The hotel you want
- The exact room type you want
- Any discount codes you want applied and that you qualify for (e.g. AAA, government rate, etc.)
- Check-in and check-out dates. For clarity I’d also write the number of nights
(e.g. “Check in on July 7 for 4 nights, check out on July 11”)
- The number of people that will be in the room. In some locations you may be better off booking for just two people even if you intend to have more. After booking, contact the hotel directly to see if they can accommodate additional guests.
- Your loyalty program number for the hotel chain, if any
- The last four digits of your Citi Prestige credit card
One Mile at a Time further recommends adding addressing any likely concerns upfront (“I realize the reservation is pre-paid,” “I realize there’s a resort fee of $___ per night,” etc.)
Q & A
- How do I know which hotels are available and at what price? Most hotels available through online travel agencies like Expedia are also available here and at similar prices. The only foolproof option, though, is to ask.
- Will I earn hotel loyalty points and elite credits for a stay booked this way? Yes, as long as you add your hotel loyalty number to the reservation. I’ve proven this to work with both Hyatt and Club Carlson so far.
- How do I know how much of a rebate I’ll get? When the travel advisor gives you a room quote they’ll be able to tell you the price, per night. The quoted price for the fourth night is the amount you’ll get as a rebate.
- Are taxes and fees for the fourth night also rebated? Yes, automatic room taxes and fees are part of the fourth night rebate. Resort fees are not included. Reservations booked July 23rd 2017 or later will be handled differently. For those reservations, the rebate will be based on the average rate across your 4 nights, and taxes will not be rebated.
- Do I have to pay for the stay with my Prestige card? Citi says yes. In one experiment, though, I earned the rebate without paying with my Prestige card (details here). To be safe, though, I definitely recommend paying with the Prestige card.
- What discounts can be applied at the time of booking? People have reported success with many different discounts including AAA, government rates, and even hotel specific promo codes (such as 3rd night or 5th night free!). Ask the travel concierge to apply any discounts you’re aware of.
- What discounts are excluded? Conference rates are excluded.
- What hotels are excluded? Any hotel that requires a credit card authorization form cannot be booked through Citi Prestige (see this post for details).