Choice Hotels is out with a new bonus offer good for 8,000 points after every 2 stays. While Choice bills this as a “Stay twice, get a free night”, the truth is that it’s an offer for 8,000 points, which is enough for a free night at some Choice properties. Still, I find Choice points can be valuable in the right situations (and I believe in Greg’s strategy of hoarding and cherry picking for maximum value), so I think this promotion is worth a look if you’re considering stays at any Choice hotels in the coming months.
- Register and stay twice by May 25th to earn 8,000 bonus Choice Hotels points
- Link to promotion
- Must register before staying
- Must book through ChoiceHotels.com, the Choice Hotels mobile app, or 800.4CHOICE (though Elite Diamond & Platinum members can book directly with a hotel)
- The following types of rates do not qualify for this promotion:
- Rooms booked at rates below $40 per night
- Complimentary rooms
- Rooms paid for as part of a convention or meeting
- Rooms booked through a travel agent or third party online retailer as part of pre-paid wholesale rates
- Wholesale packages
- Senior tours
- Bonus points from domestic stays should post within 72 hours of check-out
- Bonus points from international stays may take up to 20 days to post
- Vacation Rental properties do not qualify
- See full FAQs here
While Choice isn’t known for luxury properties in the US, there are plenty of clean and comfortable Clarion / Comfort Inn / Cambria properties (and more brands). Greg found a great-value Cambria last year (See: Great hotel point value near LAX, and a magic mirror). Choice points can also be awesome for stays in Scandinavia as most Choice Hotels include free breakfast and some of the Nordic Choice brands also include a free evening meal. Our Reasonable Redemption Value for Choice points is 0.81 cents per point, though it’s often easy to do better in Scandinavia. Last fall, I stayed at the Clarion Hotel & Congress Oslo Airport, paying 16,000 points for a night where the cash rate was over $240. You won’t often get that kind of value domestically, but there are certainly some good opportunities with Choice points. You can alternatively redeem 16,000 points for a $50 eGift card at a variety of merchants.
I received this offer via email and was able to register with a single click (without even logging in). You can alternatively register at the link above. Watch out for the rates that do not qualify — while AAA rates and many corporate rates are fine, rates below $40 and some corporate rates (stays booked with SEGEN and SRTLG rate codes) do not qualify. Check the link to FAQs above if you’re unsure whether your rate qualifies.
This promotion probably won’t influence my stay patterns, but it’s a nice incentive if a Choice Hotel happens to fit within your plans. Keep in mind that a stay is 1 or more consecutive nights in the same hotel regardless of check in / check out activity, so you’ll want to book separate hotels if you’re looking for consecutive nights.