Earlier this year, the easiest path to top-tier status in the loyalty program world was blazed with the launch of the Hilton Aspire card. However, if you don’t want an Ultra Premium Hotel credit card, Hilton is giving you a fresh new option: a status match to Gold or Diamond status with a path to retain that status through March 2020. All you need is status in another program and 1 stay in the past 12 months in said program to get started.
- Match to Hilton Gold status from another program, then complete 4 stays in 90 days to keep status through March 31, 2020
- Match to Hilton Diamond status from another program, then complete 8 stays in 90 days to keep status through March 31, 2020
- Direct link to this promotion
- Must show status with another program + 1 stay with that program in the past 12 months
- Acceptable forms of status validation include a screenshot of your current account status or your membership card.
- Acceptable forms of stay validation include a screenshot of your previous reservations or hotel receipt, redacting any personal information other than your name and membership number.
This is a nice way to get instant status if you have an upcoming stay and want status or you have a handful of stays planned in the next three months. While Hilton has been offering status matches for a while now, they just recently extended matched status out to March 2020. That’s nearly two years of status if you can complete the stays to keep status. As noted at the top, there are alternative methods to Hilton status — the Hilton Honors Ascend card will get you Gold status for being a cardholder and it carries a $95 annualm fee. The Hilton Honors Aspire card comes with Diamond status (and a $450 annual fee).
However, if you don’t want those cards, this status match can provide easy qualification. While Hilton doesn’t officially publish a matching guide on which statuses match to Gold vs Diamond, Deals We Like reports the following in terms of matching:
- SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Ritz-Carlton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Club Carlson Gold match to Hilton Gold
- SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Ritz-Carlton Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire Elite, Club Carlson Concierge match to Hilton Diamond
A couple of reports at StatusMatcher.com indicate that Best Western Diamond matches to Hilton Gold. I’m not sure on Wyndham Rewards. If you have status with another program and could use a match, it’s worth trying for this status match.
Hilton Gold includes free breakfast at almost all hotels (now including at least some credit towards breakfast even at Waldorf-Astoria properties). While Hilton Diamond lacks many of the key benefits of other top-tier statuses (late checkout, guaranteed suite upgrades, etc), it additionally includes guaranteed lounge access (whereas Gold only gets lounge access when upgraded to a lounge room). The other thing I like about Diamond status is the additional points earned on paid stays. Hilton gets a bad rap, but I found it surprisingly rewarding when doing a comparative analysis. Greg’s analysis differed from mine — though if you’re most interested in manufacturing free nights, it might not be the chain for you.
H/T: Deals We Like