MyPoints is offering up to 1,750 United miles when new users sign up and make a $50 purchase at any store through their portal.
- Join MyPoints and earn 250 miles.
- Use the MyPoints portal to spend $50 within the first 30 days and earn 1,500 bonus miles.
- Direct link to signup form.
- Earn 250 MileagePlus miles for registering and activating your MyPoints account, and enjoying your membership for 30 days.
- Earn an additional 1,500 MileagePlus bonus award miles when you make one or more qualifying purchase(s) totaling $50 in your first 30 days of membership.
- All shopping and travel purchases where you earn Points per dollar spent (referred to as PTS/$) made through the MyPoints.com website and emails are eligible toward this promotion.
- This offer is eligible for new members only.
- Any purchase returned or exchanged will be subtracted from the qualifying purchase minimum.
In theory this appears to be a targeted offer, but it’s hopefully open to anyone. I received an offer to earn 1,250 bonus miles on top of the 250 mile initial signup bonus, while my wife received one to earn a bonus of 1,500 miles. The difference was in the landing page which presumably corresponds to the offer code. The URL for hers listed the ‘cmp’ as 1494, while mine was 1492.
United credit card holders recently received higher offers to join BP Driver Rewards, so it’ll be interesting to see if that happens with this offer too.
This could be an excellent deal as all retailers that earn MyPoints per dollar are included in the promotion. Some retailers – such as Best Buy and Newegg – rarely rise above 1x/1% or 2x/2% on shopping portals. With this promotion, you’d effectively be earning a bonus worth 30x on a $50 purchase at one of those stores. That’s on top of the 250 miles just for signing up.
One thing I’m not certain about though is whether they’re awarded directly as bonus miles or as MyPoints which can then be converted to United miles. The reason this matters is that you need 6,900 MyPoints in order to redeem for 2,500 miles.
If the miles are awarded as MyPoints, that’d suggest the 1,750 United miles would be awarded as 4,830 MyPoints. You’d therefore need to earn a further 2,070 MyPoints to redeem for miles which would make this deal less stellar.
I don’t think that’s how this promotion works though. All the references are to bonus miles and bonus award miles rather than MyPoints. My expectation is therefore that you’ll earn 1,750 bonus miles, along with the regular MyPoints for your $50+ transaction.
Edit: Jamie D has confirmed in the comments below that they’re posting as United miles rather than MyPoints.
Both my wife and I tried signing up but apparently we already have MyPoints accounts. In theory I could try signing up with a different email address, but don’t want to cause any issues with my MileagePlus account for trying to game the promotion. If you try signing up, let us know if you get the initial 250 miles directly rather than 690 MyPoints. If you do, that suggests the 1,500 miles will also be awarded as miles.