This fall, Nick Reyes, Stephen Pepper, and I will meetup in a convenient city to kick off the 40K to Far Away challenge. Our goal? Go as far as possible. Our budget? 40,000 points and $400. Who will pick the winner? You will. We purposely left the objective unclear. Readers will be given the opportunity to debate who won and why; and a reader poll will ultimately decide the winner. Many more details about the challenge can be found here in the original #40Kfaraway post.
Once all three of us have booked our initial flight or train or camel ride, we’ll announce the date and starting location of the challenge.
Once the challenge begins, we’ll each post regularly about our adventures until they’re complete. I expect that our posts will be a combination of social media posts and blog posts. Make sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram!
We’ll wrap up with summaries of how we each spent our 40K miles and how much travel (distance, quality, uniqueness, etc.) we completed. Next, we’ll open up the floor to discussion to ask readers who they think won and why. We’ll then post a summary of that debate and post a reader poll to determine the winner.
What we’ve learned so far
The challenge to come up with the best possible itinerary with 40K points has led us to many interesting discoveries. Some are brand new. Others were already known, but are relatively new to us. Here are some of the gems:
- Book US to Hawaii for only 7.5K miles!
- Turkish partner awards can be booked via email (otherwise it’s necessary to go to a Turkish Airlines ticket office).
- Book ANA flights within Japan for only 5K United miles and no fees.
- Lots of info about United excursionist perks:
- Chase points can be used to book vacation air+hotel packages by calling the cruise desk.
- Fly Virgin Atlantic from Hong Kong to London for only 12.5K miles + $42.
- Cheap cruises can be expensive when booking for a single person.
- You can book Czech Airways lie-flat business class from Prague to Seoul for only 25,610 Etihad miles + $207 in taxes and fees.
- July 5: Nick revealed that he was able to book an award to Hawaii for only 7.5K Turkish miles (found here)!
- July 3: Nick has his first and last flights booked and has “one in the middle on hold”. I’ve heard bits and pieces of Nick’s scheming and it has me a bit worried. I don’t know if he’ll beat me, but I know he’s going far. Very far.
- July 3: Greg still hasn’t booked anything. I’ve worked out many scenarios, but haven’t yet picked the winning hand.
- June 30: Stephen has booked his first flight! Stephen was first in the group to book anything. I’m looking forward to finding out where he’s going. Has Stephen found a magical route that will beat Nick and me?
Please contact us here: email@example.com.
All 40K to Far Away posts:
Last updated on July 8th, 2019