American Express is offering some card members a 40% or 50% bonus when transferring from Membership Rewards to Marriott Bonvoy. With the 50% bonus, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will result in 1,500 Marriott Bonvoy points.
- Targeted 40% or 50% transfer bonus when transferring Amex Membership Rewards points to Marriott Bonvoy.
- End date: There is no listed end date for this targeted bonus.
I’m guessing that it will end by June 30, 2019. Offer ended 6/16/2019.
- Must transfer in 1,000 point increments
Even with the transfer bonus, I wouldn’t recommend transferring Membership Rewards points to Marriott in most situations. That said, if you have a high value Marriott award in mind, it could make sense. Also, you could use this bonus to indirectly convert Membership Rewards to airline miles that are not directly supported. For example, with the 50% bonus, you could indirectly transfer 40K Membership Rewards points into 25K Asiana or Alaska miles as follows:
- Transfer 40K Membership Rewards to 60K Marriott Bonvoy (50% bonus), then:
- Transfer 60K Marriott Bonvoy to 25K Asiana or Alaska miles
Is that a good deal? Probably not, but there are times where it may make sense.
Last updated on June 18th, 2019