|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
The American Airlines shopping portal launched a new promotion yesterday that’s offering 500 bonus miles when spending $75 or more in a single transaction. This can be done four times for a total of 2,000 bonus miles.
While the $75 spend requirement is a little frustrating compared to their normal promotions, it has the benefit of enabling you to earn 7.67x AAdvantage miles per dollar on third party gift cards.
- Spend $75 or more in a single transaction through the American Airlines shopping portal and earn 500 bonus miles, with a limit of 2,000 bonus miles.
- Direct link to registration.
- Expires September 16, 2019 at 11:59:59pm ET.
- Member must register for the bonus in order to be eligible to qualify for a bonus award.
- This one-time bonus award will be determined based on the number of individual “qualifying purchases” of $75 or more during the Bonus Period using one of the following Tiers:
- Tier 1 bonus: 500 miles for 1 individual qualifying purchase of $75 or more;
- Tier 2 bonus: 1,000 miles for 2 individual qualifying purchases of $75 or more;
- Tier 3 bonus: 1,500 miles for 3 individual qualifying purchases of $75 or more;
- Tier 4 bonus: 2,000 miles for 4 or more individual qualifying purchases of $75 or more.
- “Qualifying purchases” do not include returns, cancellations, shipping and handling, taxes, gift card or other cash equivalent purchases, and certain products that are not eligible for bonus miles.
- Please see the AAdvantage eShopping mall site for details on product eligibility and other restrictions.
- Please allow up to 10 weeks after the Bonus Period for bonus miles to post to your AAdvantage eShopping account.
- The Tier 4 bonus provides the maximum number of miles that will be awarded per member.
Airline shopping portal bonus promotions tend to be based on cumulative spend when meeting a spending threshold, so usually you could spend $3 in 25 different transactions in order to qualify for a $75 threshold bonus. I was therefore a little underwhelmed initially when seeing that the terms of this promotion require $75 or more be spent in a single transaction in order to earn the 500 bonus miles.
When thinking more about it though, I realized that it provided a rewarding opportunity if you need to buy any third party gift cards. GiftCards.com is one of the sites available through the American Airlines shopping portal and it sells a wide range of gift cards for brands like Lowe’s, Target, Home Depot, Best Buy, eBay, Airbnb, Uber, etc. The AA portal is currently offering 1 mile per dollar spent at GiftCards.com which is better than nothing, but not spectacular considering you can earn cashback of 2% or more through a number of other shopping portals.
This promotion makes the math far more interesting though. If you buy a $75 third party gift card, you’ll earn 75 miles at the 1x rate plus 500 bonus miles for a total of 575 miles. That’s a return of 7.67 miles per dollar which isn’t at all shabby when added to the points/miles earned from whatever credit card you use to pay for the order.
If you plan to take advantage of this offer – whether to buy gift cards or something else – be sure to register for the promotion first. I don’t remember ever seeing an airline shopping portal bonus that you specifically had to register for, so it’ll be easy to overlook that requirement if you’re not careful.