|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
Amtrak is offering a buy one, get one free sale that’s good for bookings made today through February 17, 2020 for travel from March 9, 2020 to August 30, 2020. Seating is limited and some routes / trains may not be available, but if you’re thinking about booking a trip by train this could certainly be worth a look.
- Amtrak is offering a Buy One Fare Get One Free fare sale. You must book by 2/17/20 and travel from 3/9/20 to 8/30/20
- Direct link to this promotion
- Valid for (1) one free companion rail fare with the purchase of (1) one regular (full) adult rail fare.
- Valid for sale February 13 – February 17, 2020
- Valid for travel March 9 – August 30, 2020.
- Seating is limited, seats may not be available on all trains, or all times.
- Valid for travel on most reserved service, no upgrades permitted.
- Not valid on the Auto Train nor on unreserved service which includes the Capitol Corridor, Hiawatha, Pacific Surfliner and unreserved sections of the Pennsylvanian and Keystone service and 7000-8999 Thruways.
- The companion and full fare paying passenger must travel together on the same itinerary and have tickets issued together.
- This offer is not combinable with any other discount offer.
- In addition to the discount restrictions, this offer is also subject to any restrictions, blackouts and refund rules that apply to the type of fare purchased.
- A 25 percent cancellation fee may apply.
- Once travel has begun, no changes to the itinerary are permitted.
- Fares, routes and schedules are subject to change without notice.
- Other restrictions may apply.
I don’t often travel by train because it isn’t usually convenient for me, though I’m looking forward to traveling by train this weekend. If the train can take you where you’d like to go, this could be a good way to save a few bucks. If you start at the link above, the deal should automatically be applied. If you start at the Amtrak home page, you may need coupon code V214.
Unfortunately, the sale is only valid for coach fares and the terms state that tickets can not be upgraded. Still, depending on how far you’re hoping to travel, that may not be a deal-breaker.
Note that while many popular trains, like the Acela, are included in this sale, not all trains / routes are on sale. For example, I took the Pacific Surfliner from Los Angeles to San Luis Obispo last fall and it was a gorgeous ride. I loved the observation car and guide, though I didn’t get to enjoy as much time there as I’d have liked.
Unfortunately, that particular train appears not to be included. See the prices below for one person for the Pacific Surfliner and for the Coast Starlight in the screen shot below (coach fares are to the left):
When searching for two passengers, you’ll see that the prices double on the Pacific Surfliner (the first result), but the “Promo Applied” on the Coast Starlight results accompany prices that are unchanged for two passengers for the “Value” and “Flexible” tickets.
Two passengers for $43 seems like a decent enough deal for what I imagine is still a scenic ride.
While I probably won’t be able to take advantage of this particular deal, it looks like a solid value for those who can.