Hilton Honors is once again offering a “100% bonus” when you purchase Hilton Honors points. That works out to a price of .5 cents each. In yesterday’s post (See: Does it ever make sense to spend on a Hilton card?), I noted that it doesn’t make much sense to use Hilton credit cards on unbonused spend since you could use a cash back card and then use the cash back to buy Hilton points in a sale like this, yielding you a better return (except when you’re spending towards the Ascend free night, etc — see the post for more detail). It’s great to see an opportunity to buy points cheaply again.
- Buy Hilton Honors points, get a 100% bonus (net cost of half a cent each) when you buy 10,000 or more points
- Direct link to this promotion
- An individual can buy a maximum of 160,000 Hilton points per year (but remember you can pool points with up to 10 members)
- Valid for purchases made between January 15, 2019 and February 26, 2019 at 11:59pm ET.
- All purchases are non-refundable.
- Points will be posted to the recipients Hilton Honors account within 24 hours of the completed transaction.
It doesn’t make sense to purchase Hilton points speculatively as they’re generally worth about half a cent each towards room rates and taxes/fees (just 0.45 cents in fact according to our Reasonable Redemption Values). However, if you have a valuable redemption in mind, it might make sense.
Yesterday, I illustrated how using a cash back card that earns 2.5% cash back yields the equivalent of 5 Hilton points per dollar assuming you buy points in a sale like this. The current sale now means that by the end of this sale, Hilton points will have been on sale for half a cent each for 12 weeks out of the previous 16. There’s certainly no rush to scoop them up at this price, but if you have the right redemption in mind it could be a good fit. Keep in mind that unlike Marriott, Hilton does not add resort / destination fees to award stays, so this could save you some money beyond just the cost of the room.
Overall, this is a pass for most people…but I’ll likely buy a few points this time around.
H/T: Danny the Deal Guru