|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
IHG is offering a “mystery bonus” on points purchases whereby you need to log in to see your bonus. It seems like most people are targeted for a 100% bonus, which would mean you could buy points for 0.5c each. This bonus is available through August 23rd, so there is plenty of time to buy if you’re in the market.
- Buy IHG points with a “mystery bonus” of up to 100% (if you’re targeted for a 100% bonus, that would be from 0.5c per point)
- Direct link to check your offer (note that you could also go through a portal and earn a small return)
- Offer available for purchases made between 12:00 AM ET June 27, 2019 and 11:59 PM ET August 23, 2019 inclusive.
- Purchased Points are not refundable and are applicable toward all IHG® Rewards Club awards.
- Members may purchase a maximum of 100,000 points per calendar year and receive as a gift a maximum of 100,000 points per calendar year.
- Please allow 72 hours for points to post and appear in the recipient’s account. (YMMV — mine posted immediately)
- All other IHG® Rewards Club Terms and Conditions apply.
- See promotion page for full terms
I actually bought points this time around. I generally do not suggest buying points unless you have a valuable use in mind. In my case, I have a family weekend trip coming up where hotel rates are around $160 before tax or rooms are available for 10K IHG points per night. Buying points means everyone will pay $50 per night, which makes the family happy while not depleting my Ultimate Rewards points for an IHG stay — a win-win.
The bonus is valid if you buy 5,000 points or more and you can buy up to 100,000 points per year before the bonus. Oddly, I noticed that points don’t actually price out to half a cent each unless you buy at least 26,000.
While you can often buy points around this price with points & money bookings (and sometimes for even a bit less), this can work out well if you’ve got a good redemption in mind. If you don’t have an immediate use in mind, it’s probably not worth buying.
H/T: One Mile at a Time