Hilton has opened its Q4 2019 promotion for registration and it has the potential to be extra rewarding for Hilton Amex cardholders. That’s because although the promotion offers double points as standard, Hilton Honors members who pay with a Hilton Amex credit card will earn triple points. Depending on which Hilton card you have, you’ll be able to earn up to 54 points per dollar.
- Register for Hilton’s Q4 2019 promotion which is set up as follows:
- Earn 2x points on all stays.
- Earn 3x points on all stays paid for with a Hilton Amex card.
- Direct link to registration.
- Offer valid for stays completed September 9, 2019, through January 5, 2020 at any hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio.
- Hilton Honors members must first register at HiltonHonors.com/PowerUp prior to completing a stay within the Promotion Period.
- You must check out on or prior to January 5, 2020 to be eligible for this offer.
- Registered Hilton Honors members checking in before September 9, 2019 will receive credit for their stay if the stay is completed on or after September 9, 2019 and prior to or on January 5, 2020.
- Registered Hilton Honors members will earn Double Hilton Honors Bonus Points per stay during the Promotion Period or Triple Hilton Honors Bonus Points per stay during the Promotion Period for using a Hilton Honors Credit Card. “Double Points” means you will receive a bonus equal to the number of Base Points earned during a stay. “Triple Points” means for each dollar spent using your Hilton Honors Credit Card on stays at a property within the Hilton portfolio during the Promotion Period, you will receive a bonus equal to twice the number of Base Points earned during a stay.
- Hilton Honors Credit Cards include: Hilton Honors American Express Card, Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card, Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card, Hilton Honors American Express Business Card, Hilton Honors Visa Classic Sumitomo Card, Hilton Honors Visa Gold Sumitomo Card, Hilton Honors Visa Platinum Sumitomo Card, Barclaycard Hilton Honors credit card and DKB German. For examples and further details, please see the FAQ page.
- There is no limit to the total amount of Bonus Points that may be earned during the Promotion Period with this offer. However, there are restrictions on the amount of Base Points that can be earned on a single stay at certain brands.
Hilton runs double and/or triple points promotions fairly frequently and Q4 of 2019 is no exception. If you’re only eligible to earn double points, you’ll earn 20 points per dollar at all their brands (other than Home2 Suites and Homewood Suites which will earn 10x) – that’s before taking into account any bonus points you earn from having Hilton status.
Paying with a Hilton Amex card is where the points you earn can get much more juiced up. Triple points means you’ll earn 30x at most of their brands which is before bonus points from status and paying with one of their cards. Hilton cards offer 7x, 12x or 14x when paying for Hilton stays, depending on which card you have.
The best return will come from paying with an Amex Hilton Aspire card. That earns 14x when using it to pay for Hilton stays and comes with Diamond status which also offers double base points. As a result, you’ll earn 54 points per dollar when paying for Hilton stays with the Aspire card – an excellent return, especially if you’re able to stack it with any Hilton Amex Offers that come out during the promotion period.
One downside to paid Hilton stays is that they’re not particularly rewarding when it comes to shopping portals. Portals can offer headline rates of up to 7%, but that’s usually only available for members with Silver status or lower. I’d guess that a significant number of us have Gold or Diamond status – usually from an Amex card – so that means we’re usually only able to earn 1% cashback.
If you have Gold status though, it’s worth checking out Kiindly as they offer 4% for paid Hilton stays even with Gold status; that’s the best cashback rate available for Gold members as far as I’m aware. We had a couple of paid Hilton stays in May and June and used Kiindly seeing as we both have Gold status. Both transactions have tracked correctly, so I’m just waiting for the transactions to become payable. That process takes four months from the date of the original reservation, so they’re due to become payable on September 30. It’s therefore not the quickest process, but I’m happy to wait if it means earning 4% rather than 1%.
Last updated on August 31st, 2019