|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
Aeroplan is offering a 30% points on miles converted from hotel points. Unfortunately, they are excluding transfers from Marriott and SPG, so this one won’t be worth it unless you have hotel points languishing that are likely to expire unused.
- Get a 30% transfer bonus when you convert from select hotel points to Aeroplan
- Includes the following hotel partners:
- IHG Rewards Club
- Hilton Honors
- Radisson Rewards
- Best Western
- Wyndham Rewards
- Coast Hotels
- Choice Privileges
- Le Club Accor
- Direct link to this promotion
- Expires August 20, 2018
- Must convert to at least 5,000 Aeroplan miles to receive the bonus
- Bonus miles post within 4-6 weeks of the promotion end date
- See promotion page for full terms
This isn’t a terribly good deal as the conversion ratios for participating programs mostly stink. Here are the ratios:
- IHG Rewards, Wydnham, Best Western, and Choice privileges convert at a 5:1 ration to Aeroplan (minimums vary)
- Coast Rewards points convert 1:1 (there are only 37 Coast Hotels properties in the US and members earn between 1 point per dollar spent and 1.5 points per dollar spent at the top tier, with 40+ nights per year)
- Radisson Rewards and Hilton Honors convert 10:1 (min = 10K)
- Le Club Accor converts at 2:1
- Shangri-La Golden Circle converts 1:1
Only Coast, Le Club Accor, and Shangri-La have even marginally good ratios, and I think it is unlikely that many readers have built up enough points in those programs to convert over to at least 5K Aeroplan miles (the minimum transfer to trigger the 30% bonus) and don’t have a better use in mind for the points. In other words, this is one to skip for most folks.
The only times it might make sense is if you have to top off for a particularly valuable redemption or if you have hotel points about to expire unused. Perhaps a transfer from IHG would make sense if you have a redemption in mind that is very valuable to you. Buying IHG Rewards points for around 0.5c each is akin to buying Aeroplan miles at 2.5 cents each — again, not a rate at which I’d speculatively buy, but it might make sense if you’re close to a redemption (I believe Aeroplan charges 3 cents per mile to buy direct). Otherwise, this is one is a pass.
As always, we have added this to our Current point transfer bonuses.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Last updated on August 25th, 2018