Update: This offer has expired.
If you have the Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express credit card (formerly the SPG Business Amex), check your Amex Offers as you might have a spending offer that could be worth considering.
- Earn 7,500 bonus points when spending $5,000 in a calendar month, or
- Earn 15,000 bonus points when spending $10,000 in a calendar month.
- Enrollment required by April 7, 2019.
- The maximum number points you can earn in association with this offer is 7,500 (or 15,000*) points per month or 45,000 (or 90,000*) points in aggregate over the entire length of the Offer Period.
- Eligible purchases on all Cards under a particular Card Account (including the Basic Card as well as any Additional or Employee Cards) are combined for the purpose of calculating the amount of spending that counts towards the Spend Requirement.
- Points will be credited to your loyalty member account 8-12 weeks after you meet the Spend Requirement during the Offer Period.
- Limit one offer per Card Account.
- Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of traveler’s checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments, or purchases of any cash equivalents. Eligible purchases to meet the purchase requirement are for goods and services minus returns and other credits.
*Refers to the 15,000 bonus point/$10,000 spending offer.
This targeted offer works out to be a bonus of 1.5 Marriott Bonvoy points per dollar for every $5,000 or $7,500 of spend, depending on which version of the offer you receive.
If you were to enroll in the offer today, there are 9 calendar months in which you could earn the bonus points. Note that you’re limited to 45,000 or 90,000 bonus points though, so you’ll max out this offer if completing the minimum spend requirement during 6 calendar months.
There’s a spending bonus available on the personal Marriott Bonvoy Amex, although in that post I explained that it probably wasn’t worth taking advantage of. This offer on the business version of the card is a little more intriguing than that one for three reasons.
The first is that the spend requirements are different. With the offer on the personal card, you have to spend $25,000. This business card offer is better as you only have to spend in $5,000 or $10,000 increments in order to earn the bonus points.
The second reason is that you’re effectively earning 1.5 bonus points per dollar with this offer on the business cards, rather than 1 bonus point per dollar with the personal card offer.
Thirdly, the Marriott Business Amex has a few bonus categories. If you were to spend $5,000/$10,000 per month in the following categories, you’d be earning 5.5 points per dollar:
- US restaurants
- US gas stations
- Wireless telephone services purchased directly from US service providers
- US purchases for shipping
If you have a lot of spend in any of those categories, earning 5.5x Marriott Bonvoy points might be better than you’re getting elsewhere.
Having said all that, you’ll get a better return on $5,000/$10,000 of spend per month by putting those purchases towards earning signup bonuses on new cards. It’s therefore not going to be worth taking advantage of this offer unless it doesn’t impact on your ability to make minimum spend requirements on new cards.
One slight downside is that you’re limited to one bonus per calendar month. Let’s say you have the $5,000/7,500 point offer and needed to make a $10,000 payment, perhaps for taxes, home renovations, etc. You’d only earn 7,500 bonus points due to the limit of one bonus per month.
Last updated on April 25th, 2019