Marriott launched a sale this past week which offers a 50% bonus when buying 2,000 points or more, reducing the cost to 0.83cpp.
- Buy 2,000+ Marriott Bonvoy points & get a 50% bonus.
- Direct link to offer (our affiliate link).
- Transactions must be completed between 9:00 a.m. ET September 14, 2020, and 11:59 p.m. ET October 22, 2020, to be eligible for the 50% bonus Points offer with a minimum purchase of 2,000 Points.
- Purchased points do not count towards Marriott BonvoyTM Elite status.
- A member may purchase or receive as a gift from another member a combined maximum of 150,000 Points during the promotional period only. Points that have been already purchased or received as a gift in 2020 are included in the 150,000 Points limit. The 50% bonus Points earned with this promotion are not included in the 150,000 Points limit.
- Points may be purchased in increments of 1,000, up to 50,000 Points (with a minimum purchase of 2,000 Points required for promotion eligibility); in increments of 5,000, up to a maximum of 100,000 Points; or in increments of 10,000, up to 150,000 Points.
- Points can be purchased at a rate of US$12.50 per 1,000 Points, US$62.50 per 5,000 Points or US$125 per 10,000 Points.
- Points purchases will be processed up to seven (7) business days after purchase.
- Base Points purchased will be deposited into members’ Accounts first. Bonus Points will be deposited up to 48 hours after that initial deposit.
- You must be a member in good standing to both purchase and receive Points.
- New members may purchase Points thirty (30) days after enrollment if their Marriott Bonvoy Account reflects qualifying activity as described in the Marriott Bonvoy Program Rules. After one (1) year from enrollment, new members are eligible to purchase Points regardless of their Account activity.
- Once Points have been purchased or gifted, no refunds will be permitted.
- Purchasing Points using a Marriott Bonvoy cobrand credit card will earn Points as an everyday purchase.
- This offer is valid only for Points purchased through the promotion’s Buy Points or Gift Points pages.
The 50% bonus reduces the cost of the points to 0.83cpp which can provide good value with the right redemption, especially if you can take advantage of Marriott’s 5th night free benefit on award stays.
You can reduce the cost a little further by clicking through to Points.com from a shopping portal. At the time of writing this post, TopCashback is offering 2.5% cashback when buying Marriott Bonvoy points, making the net cost 0.81cpp.
If you have an upcoming redemption in mind, this offer could be worth taking advantage of, although you’d need to compare the cost of buying the points versus paying for the stay. When taking into account the cost of the stay, there are a few additional factors to take into account:
- Cashback earned when booking the stay after clicking through from a shopping portal.
- Points earned when paying for the stay (both base points and bonus points from any status).
- Bonus points from Marriott’s latest promotion.
- Bonus points when paying for the stay with a Marriott credit card (you might have an Amex Offer giving a total of 10x when paying for Marriott stays).
- Savings from the Marriott Amex Offer giving $50 back when spending $200 (this offer ends this week though).
While buying points might initially seem like a good redemption, the savings and/or earnings from a paid stay could tip the balance in favor of paying for it.