Today’s Portal Alerts shows a large number of high portal payout rates, but the one I find most interesting is this one: 8X via Alaska MileagePlan Shopping. This is especially interesting for a few reasons:
- Alaska miles are particularly valuable (can be used on many high-value flight partners, allow one-ways with stopovers, etc)
- If you pay with a card that offers an office supply bonus, you can earn even more (such as Chase Ink: 5X)
- It’s extremely rare to see Staples offer a multiple this high.
The offer says “Valid through 05/31/15”, but I believe that refers to the 10% HP ink deal (see: Misleading portal deal details: how to make sense of them).
Most likely the 8X offer is good for today only.
- Gift card purchases at Staples usually do not earn portal rewards. I have reported that e-gift cards still seem to work, but even that is inconsistent. So, keep in mind that buying gift cards probably won’t result in 8X Alaska points (but you will still earn 5X from your Chase Ink card if you pay that way).
- You do not have to pay with an Alaska branded credit card
- There have been inconsistent reports about whether the use of coupon codes not found on the site will invalidate portal rewards. In my experience (which is far out of date to be honest) I have received rewards even when using coupons or Staples rewards, but please keep in mind that risk.
Also see this Big Habitat post for Staples discount and purchase ideas.
Last updated on September 10th, 2018