There’s a new Amex Offer out today that’s offering 3,000 bonus Membership Rewards when spending $5,500 or more. This offer is targeted, but it might be available on several types of Membership Rewards-earning cards, so be sure to add it to the best one based on your spending habits.
- Spend $5,500+ in one or more eligible transactions and get 3,000 bonus Membership Rewards.
- Must enroll by November 7, 2019 and spend by November 21, 2019.
- Bonus can be earned up to three times.
- An “eligible purchase” means a purchase of at least $5,500 made with your enrolled Card by 11/21/2019.
- Purchases may fall outside of the offer period in some cases due to a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction (for example, the purchase date for online orders may be the shipping date).
- If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the offer, you will not receive the additional points. For example, your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you may not receive the additional Membership Rewards points if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party.
- Cash advances, balance transfers, and other fees and charges such as interest, annual fees and foreign currency conversion fees are not eligible transactions and do not qualify for this offer.
If you were to spend in increments of $5,500, you’d be earning 0.55 bonus Membership Rewards per dollar. That’s potentially large enough to affect whether or not it’s worth putting spend on a particular card.
That decision will also depend on which card(s) you receive this Amex Offer on, if you’re even targeted at all. My wife didn’t get it on any of her cards, while I received it on a couple of mine – an Amex Gold card and an Ameriprise Platinum card. I sadly didn’t get it on the Charles Schwab Platinum card that I’m currently working on minimum spend for, as 1.55 Membership Rewards per dollar would’ve been a nice bonus.
I ended up adding it to my Amex Gold card as there’s an outside chance I’ll be putting enough 4x spend on that card at grocery stores over the next couple of months. While I won’t go out of my way to hit the $5,500 threshold, earning 4.55x rather than 4x would be a sweet deal.
An Amex Business Platinum card could be a good alternative card to add it to if you’re targeted on that card and place large transactions on it. That’s because you already earn 1.5 Membership Rewards on transactions of $5,000 or more, so spending $5,500 in one go would yield 2.05 Membership Rewards per dollar. Considering Q3 tax payments are due in a couple of weeks, that could be of interest to some.
The Blue Business Plus is another good option considering it earns 2x Membership Rewards on the first $50,000 of spend, or earn a minimum of 1.75x on the no annual fee Amex EveryDay card when using the card for at least 20 transactions in a billing period.
American Express recently sent out some erroneous emails to members offering what seemed be ridiculously rewarding spending offers. Those offers differed from person to person, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there were other targeted offers out there with different bonuses or spending requirements. If you receive a different version of this offer, please let us know in the comments below.