That didn’t take long! Earlier this morning I published a Quick Deal saying that TopCashBack had increased their cash back rate for Amex gift cards to 3%. In that post, I predicted that other portals would increase their rates too. I wrote: “I’ve noticed that TopCashBack deals often show up about a day in advance of deals through other portals. So, keep an eye out for the Arrival RewardsBoost portal to go back up to 4X or the Alaska Airlines portal to go back up to 3X if you prefer miles over cash back.” And, sure enough, the other portals have followed suit as predicted (but much faster than expected)! Here are the current best rates:
- Barclaycard RewardsBoost 4X (Requires Arrival card)
- Alaska MileagePlanShopping 3X
- Delta SkyMiles Shopping 3X
- TopCashBack 3% Cash Back
And, here are two codes to try for removing gift card fees other than shipping costs:
- FPADMIN (through April 29th)
- FPMOM (shown on the Barlays portal)
Please read: Everything you ever wanted to know about Amex gift cards. And, if you still have questions, please ask via the comments of that post so that we can keep information about Amex gift cards in one place.
- The Barclay RewardsBoost rebate is in addition to your credit card rewards. So, when that portal offers 4X and you pay with the 2X-earning Arrival card, you’ll earn a total of 6X (worth 6.6% towards travel).
- Amex gift cards do not have PINs. They cannot be used to load Bluebird cards.
- Some credit card companies charge cash advance fees when purchasing these online. Please read Everything you ever wanted to know about Amex gift cards for details.
- Portals often state that using codes not found on their site will invalidate cash back / miles earned. This has not been my experience. I use codes for free gift cards every time. Try SYNCGIFT, for example.
- Some portals restrict the top card amount to $500. You can easily circumvent this by logging into your Amex account (after clicking through from the portal) and then you’ll see values up to $3000. Yes, you should still get cash back or miles (that has been my experience).
- Cash back can take several months to go from pending to payable.
- Miles often take several weeks or even a month or more to post, but then appear immediately in your mileage account.
- Everything you ever wanted to know about Amex gift cards
- How to Spend Down Amex Gift Cards
- Links to sign up for cash back portals (and other things), can be found here.
Never miss a Quick Deal. Subscribe here.
Last updated on September 29th, 2014